Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Left function giving my a invalid syntax error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vba317

Programmer
Mar 5, 2009
US
I am using access 2002. I have a table with a field called BillMonth that has a date with the month in it in a text format. Ex. 201304 I am trying to write an update query for the next field called Yr. Both fields in the table are text. I am getting an invalid syntax error. In design view my query looks like this:

Field Yr:(Left[BillMonth],4)
Table RPT_Detail

Any help is appreciated

Tom

Field Yr:Left([BillMonth],4)

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Sorry, that didnt work.
I have read it could be a reference issue. I checked and I don't have any missing errors.
This is my current refernce structure:

Visual Basic for applications
Microsoft Access 10.0 Object Library
Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
OLE automation
Microsoft Visual Basic for applications extensibility 5.3
Microsoft Office XP Web Components
Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object Library
Microsoft ADO Ext 2.8 for DDL and Security
Microsoft ActiveX Data Objectd 2.8 Library

Tom

I have a table with a field called BillMonth that has a date

Sorry, but what you have is not a "date" but a Year and Month number value.

You would be so far better off with a real date, from which Year or Month could be extracted very simply!

YYYYMM strings are vitrually useless as dates, IMNSHO!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Is it possible that any of the records might not have a value in the field? Does absolutely every record have a value matching the expected format?

Have you tried compiling your code?

What do you get if you open the debug window (press Ctrl+G) and enter:

Code:
? Left("201304",4)

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

How is this the design view for an UPDATE query?
Mine would be more like this:

[tt]Field: Yr
Table: RPT_detail
Update To: Left([BillMonth],4)[/tt]

Randy

Dhookup I tried your idea of typing in ?Left("201304",4)
I get 2013 returned to me which is what I want. So why won't it work in a query?

I also ran a query for null values on the table and I had no records return to me.

Tom

Randy,
I reformatted my update query and I still get the invalid syntax error after the error the comma before the 4 is highlighted.

Tom

Depending on your locale settings you may have to use a semi-colon (;) instead of a comma (,)

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thank you PH but I tried the ; and I still get the same error.

Tom

DHookup I scanned through the records all 18500 of them and I did not see any data errors.

Tom

I have another idea. I have another table that has the date and year information in it. I wrote another query that used this other table and it works fine. I didnt know why my predessor created this table but it must be for this situation. I did want to thank everyone for ther help.
Tom

Code:
UPDATE dbo_dic_Period INNER JOIN RPT_Detail ON dbo_dic_Period.cache_id = RPT_Detail.BillMonth SET RPT_Detail.[Year] = [dbo_dic_Period].[yr];

So, the following didn't work ?
UPDATE RPT_Detail SET RPT_Detail.[Year] = Left(RPT_Detail.BillMonth, 4)

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

PHV,
As usual you are great! Your code did work! I noticed that when I go back to design view I get:
Left(RPT_Detail.BillMonth~4).

So this is where I made my mistake. Thank you so much for your help! have a great day!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back