Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leaving a Database in recovery Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

SysAdminMike

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2008
US
All,

First, thanks in advance for reading and posting a suggestion (if you do).

My company is running Oracle 10g standard currently. We want to make many of our current databases redundant so should a data center go down we can bring the site in another data center (or Amazon EC2 for right now).

To get to the point. I need to find a way to have a database running in auto-recovery mode so that every 30 minutes when the new archive logs are transferred into the directory for recovery it reads them and waits for the next logs.

Can someone guide me on how to do such a task? Is this even possible?

Thanks,

Michael

Thanks,

Michael

Mike,

I may be missing something obvious here, but are you wanting dataguard, whereby the archive logs are shipped to a distant db, played into it, thereby having it shadow production, or are you wanting a backup and restore method?

I'm not familiar with recovery mode (which just shows my level of ignorance) but I wonder what the business requirement is here....

Regards

T

T,

I am pretty sure data guard is only available in Enterprise edition and we are using standard. Our Dev team is investigating whether or not enterprise is needed, but in the meantime I need to figure out some sort of solution that does this for us without the upgrade to enterprise (if possible).

We really want this to be automated, and we are selling it as redundancy for our customers wherein should our data center go down, we can bring you up in x amount of time with a minimal amount of data loss.

Please, let me know if more info is needed in any form.

Thanks,

Michael

Looking at the Oracle documentation, it appears that you will be able to create a standby database at the remote site, periodically copy archive logs to the remote site and manually apply them using "recover standby database until ..." commands. What you lose in Standard edition is the ability to put your standby database in managed recovery mode where Oracle handles the remote archive log destinations and updating the control file of the standby database with current archive log information.

So there does seem to be potential for implementing a poor man's Data Guard in Oracle Standard Edition. Just make sure to thoroughly test your procedures.

karluk is absolutely correct.

something you may want to consider as well:
I've seen companies delay the "recovery" update process on the "shadow" databases in case of data definition leading to an outage. Assuming there's a DBA or Analyst always on call, you should be able to identify the offending issue within 30 mins to an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back