Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leave disks spinning or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acl03

MIS
Jun 13, 2005
US
We have an old HP San that we aren't using anymore. We will be allocating the disks eventually, but not sure when. Is it ok to pull the disks out and put them on a shelf, or is it better for the drives to leave them spinning?

Thanks,
Andrew

disks that have been powered up a long time, and spin down have a tendency to fail sometimes when reinserted.But on the other hand,leaving disks spinning increases the wearing of the disks.So on 1 side you have 50-50 chance of your disks breaking down, on the other side, you have a certain 100 pct chance that the disks wears down more and more by leaving it spinning.So statisticly you're better off pulling them out :)

Should I leave the lights on, or tun them off when I leave the room? I think this was proved on Myth Busters....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back