Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leave as opposed to let...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeBarone

Programmer
Mar 1, 2001
US
Another phrase I heard the other day, I chuckled. My ex-FIL told my son to "leave the dog out." My son, baffled, said, "Grandpa, the dog is in the kitchen!"

Of course, my Ex-FIL wanted my son to "let the dog out."

Mike Barone

"One forgets words as one forgets names. One's vocabulary needs constant fertilizing or it will die."

- Evelyn Waugh

Sorry Dimandja,

I guess in a forum dedicated to the proper use of vocabulary it is inappropriate to use Internet lingo. I will refrain from it in the future.

MIL = Mother-in-Law
FIL = Father-in-Law

Mike Barone

"One forgets words as one forgets names. One's vocabulary needs constant fertilizing or it will die."

- Evelyn Waugh

Dimandja

I believe Father-in-law, Mother-in-law

Leave the dog out" suggests to my ears that the speaker might have a native language other than English.

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

Yes, it is called the "lack of education" language ;)

Mike Barone

- Evelyn Waugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back