Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learnkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackson55

Instructor
Feb 17, 2007
US
Has anyone used the Learnkey products? I have experience with Cisco routers and switches but not sure exactly what I should expect when I go to take the test and if this product will help me any.

Thanks!

Jackson

I think the next step would be to get the Cisco press book coupled with the Sybex one. In regards to learnkey I can't comment as I have not personally used it or know of any thread relating to this.

Transcenders and selftestsoftware are the two most common you'd find people use on these forum. Hands on is also very important as am sure you probably know alreay. Best of wishes in your pursuit of CCNA certification.

jackson55,

I agree with onoski, in fact I always say to get 2 books - one from Cisco press and the other the Sybex CCNA Study Guide (5TH edition)by Todd L. .

You also need lots of hands on labs - either your own lab (off of eBay) or a good sim like the one from Boson, you can go to and download a FREE trial of the sim they sell.

There are several good ones out there - the key is tons of hands on - the CCNA is all about troubleshooting routers and switches.

The only experience I have with Learnkey was their CCNA training on VHS tape - it is good but I put it with things like CBT Nuggets - very good to use when you get tired of reading but I think it would be hard pressed to use any ONE study material and pass the exam.

And speaking of CBT Nuggets you can go to and try for FREE MANY of the full length videos they sell - they have several under CCNA and CCNP that would help with CCNA study.

I think it takes a 3-4 pronged attack - books, hands-on, test software and training videos!

This is exactly what Cisco did with the Cisco CCNA Network Academy program they offer at many schools and colleges.

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I definitely want to pass on the first shot, but not sure what the success rate is. Even though I have experience with Cisco routers and switches its mostly relative to what I do at work. I know there is a lot more out there to learn.

I will follow these recomendations; on another note, what is the typical time table to get ready for these exams? (Im going to go with the 2 exam route):)

Thanks,

Jackson

Jackson,

I have followed what I listed above to pass the CCNA (2x), CCDA, Network + and the routing exam under the old CCNP all on the first try and all with good scores - not that the score matters - passing is passing :)

I am getting ready to take the CCNA again (my 3 years is up in July) if I do not take one of the new CCNP exams first.

Work experience is GREAT - but lots of times it is not the same kind of things that you will be expected to do on the CCNA - what I mean is that most of my students who had work experience with routers - were doing advanced things and had to go back and review the basics that the CCNA covers :) If you are doing basic troubleshooting on 2600 type routers - you will be ahead of the game.

Get the 2 books listed and start reading them - Cisco Press tends to go into MUCH greater detail then what you will need to PASS the CCNA - but it helps when you work as a CCNA - the Sybex book tends to cover about 90% of just what you need to know to pass the exam!

Good luck!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Great! Thanks for the recomendations.....I will do so. I think reading these books like you say will give me the basics with 2 perspectives which I know I stepped right over to do the more difficult exciting things at work.

I remember really enjoying the CCNA Sybex book, but I wasn't terribly impressed with any of the CCNP Sybex books. In fact, for the BCRAN, I was surprised to find that my favorite was Exam Cram 2! Then again, the one for CIT was horrible so I can't tell you to run out and buy EC2. You might consider borrowing a copy from the library or a friend just for another view.

both the ciscopress and sybex are nice series for preparing for ccna, and you learn more when studying the same thing from multiple sources. maybe some author covers what others overlooked, or it's just that saying things in a different way makes you understand a lot better:)

fresh CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back