Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning x12 837 edi, To purchase or not to purchase x12 references

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2015
US
Hi,
I'm looking to learn edi. I've found resources online but none seem to provide thorough enough information. Also seem to be focused around a particular technology. I'm really looking to learn the standard.

Am I stuck buying the guides from x12.org?
They are pricey for someone just trying to learn.

Thanks

Are you currently in role doing EDI or are you just trying to learn EDI to get a job doing it?

Most of us who do EDI were thrown into it and learned on the job.. There are so many variables with each document, segment, element and trading partner.

Hi,

I want as well as have to learn to do edi.

My requirements at the moment are pretty simple. All I need to do is generate a couple types of claims. I don't even have to parse the acknowledgements.

I have two different procedure types that I have to generate, one is a x12 837I and the other is a 837P.
If I know how 837's should be setup then it would be a breeze. However, I don't know what are all the rules for x12 837.
I don't know where the segments, white spaces, delimiters and loops go. Do I really have to spend so much money to buy the x12 references just to generate a couple claims? I've found no online resource that would tell me how to properly format a claim. There's bits of info online but not enough for me to piece everything together.

I also can't justify spending so much money for an enterprise edi solution that does above and beyond my current, simple requirements.
These requirements will probably never change as this is for a small family business.

I'm in the manufacturing sector, so I can't help you with that particular document, but many times you can google the document number and find specs from different companies. Download them and then start looking at the differences. You'll noticed the requirements in the specs too. This is a great way to learn. I wouldn't pay for any specs or tutorials..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back