Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning VC++

Status
Not open for further replies.

minoad

Programmer
Mar 28, 2001
US
I am planning on self teaching myself VC++ but have become quite suprised with the lack of C++ Begginer resourses on the web. Beyond going out and buying a book, can anyone here recomend any good links?

Thanks

Micah A. Norman

Check out It's not a free website tutorial, I've had trouble finding such a site too. But they have interactive cd-roms that'll teach u C/C++ from the beginning and the basics of MFC ("Painless Windows Programming") for a well spent $50 each. The good thing about their courses is you can watch and listen just as if you were in a class room, so you remember more.

~Mike
Any man willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.

-Ben Franklin

"don't resist the Force, [Micah]."

Why are you avoiding diving into a good book or two? Nothing on the web can teach it in a logical order and build one thing on the next as well as a book can.

Cough up the dough. It'll be worth it once you understand how cool C++ object oriented programming is! Just, "let the Force [of a good book] guide you..." |-0

Its not that i have any aversion to buying a book. Just the fact that i have been told that C++ is nearly impossible to master if your not taking classes in a school. Just want to get some of the basics down before I take a nose dive into something.
Thanks

Micah A. Norman

I would agree that concepts like pointers and objects will likely be pretty challenging to learn on your own. I think you'll find the going easier if you go sequentially and systematically through a book rather than bits and pieces on the web... and then use the web (or whatever other resources) to fill in the areas you need extra help with.

After that you can decide if you want to take a nose dive into classes. Anyway, that's just my opinion, for what it's worth. Best wishes! ;-)

Hi!
A nice book to try is "C++ How to Program" Third Edition by Deitel and Deitel. Is a great book if you want to learn C++. Probably you will not like the price, but believe me, is worth it. Hope it helps.

I just purchased the book 'Beggining Visual C++' from Wrox Press. I have to say that in learing this new language I find that I understand other languages such as Visual Basic Much more. Thanks for all the responses and hopefully ill be adding to the board shortly.

Micah A. Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back