Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning VBScript 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCool32

Programmer
Sep 26, 2002
US
I've been searching for the best source to learn how to program in VBScript; books, Internet sites and otherwise. None of what I've found seems to be good for beginners or deal w/ recent updates in the language. Does anyone know where I could start? JJ [peace]

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand" - Witch Hunt, by Rush

vbscript unleashed was good.

there aren't going to be a whole lot of tutorials and such other then the micro$oft site as vbscript only works on IE. that would be the place to start though.
---------------------------------------
{ str = "sleep is good for you. sleep gives you the energy you need to function";
ptr = /sleep/gi;Nstr = str.replace(ptr,"coffee");alert(Nstr); }
for the best results to your questions: FAQ333-2924

A good resource for basic scripting information is:

This has VBScript and WSH information. If you want to get deeper into ADSI or WMI...
ADSIEdit in the Windows 2000 Server Support Tools is helpful in finding properties in ADSI to query on, and you can download 'scriptomatic' from the web for WMI query help.

There is so much more you can do outside of what is provided in these pages, but once you get started you will figure that out.

Good luck.

Dana Hallenbeck

Falcon, you're right. That book is a little old. Does it at least cover version 5.0?

onpnt, who produced the book you mentioned? I hadn't noticed that one.

Dana, I've looked at DevGuru. What frustrates me about that site is that there isn't a separate section for just sample programs where many things are tied together. It was good for making a message box, though.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. JJ [peace]

VBScript Unleashed is part of the unleashed series from sams.net
this particular book goes over ActiveX Controls, some Security issues, cookies (fairly well), error handling and some minor animation

I thought the book was well formatted. It was published when IE 3 was out but VBScript has not been updated very much seeing as the advent of .NET uses VB.NET over VBScript mainly.
{ str = "sleep is good for you. sleep gives you the energy you need to function";
ptr = /sleep/gi;Nstr = str.replace(ptr,"coffee");alert(Nstr); }
for the best results to your questions: FAQ333-2924

I liked Visual Basic 6 How to Program by Deitel, Deitel and T.R. Nieto. They have a website... I havent really checked it out but the book was good. Good Luck!

browolf, where can I find that Microsoft help file for VBScript: vbs55.chm? JJ [peace]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back