Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning Progress 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denali99

Technical User
Jul 13, 2000
CA
Hi, was just hired by Revenue Canada and they've put me on a Progress application.&nbsp;&nbsp;They gave me this big self-study guide that was written in 1996 and is full of mistakes.&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there any ressources out there that might help me learn this language?&nbsp;&nbsp;Any tips I should know that would help me with this tool and there &quot;4GL&quot; code...<br><br><br>Thanx,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Simon<br>

What version of progress are you using?<br><br>I've recently started using v9.0B&nbsp;&nbsp;With the install disk, you also get a documentation disk.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is worth using as a startpoint.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is also a spiral bound quick reference guide to all objects (called widgets is 4gl) and all language keywords.&nbsp;&nbsp;Use this as a pointer to the elec docs.&nbsp;&nbsp;My company also got me a set of progress 4gl printed docs, which I find easier to use than the elctronic copies.&nbsp;&nbsp;In the UK, these cost us around £60, but check with progressCanada/ progressUS for local prices.&nbsp;&nbsp;As far as I know, there are no independent progress 4gl guides anywhere.

White Star software, a guy called John Cummings (from memory) wrote several good books on programming with PROGRESS. The versions I have seen related to V6 and 7, although I believe later versions were to come. Also V8 doco is available with a CD. Check some of the larger on-line bookstores.

Hi Simon.

I found myself in a similar situationin 1998. If your using v7/v8 then I would recommend the QUE PROGRESS VERSION 8 by George Kassabgi (not sure of spelling). George was/is the main designer for the Progres Engine. The book come with a CD and covers all apects of v8 dev from installation through to deployment.
[sig][/sig]

Tx, by now I can handle Progress, wish though I could have gotten my hand on the QUE book on Progress 8. I have already did several major changes on our apps. Though I really learned Progress by looking and modifying other peoples code and by looking at the Progress knowledge base and the Peg user group (if anyone get into the same situation and read this thread :)

Though, just one quick question, is it me or Progress seems o be losing market share to SQL Server and Oracle or are they stable...They don't seem to be growing and expanding much.

Whitestar software is owned by &quot;John Campbell&quot; in Palo Alto, Ca. Here is the link. John's books on progress are considered the &quot;bibles&quot; for progress. Check out his articles on his website too.

Don't hesitate to send John an email if you have suggestions for his website. He's a great guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back