Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

learning perl

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendas

Technical User
Feb 2, 2004
SG
hi,
which book or website should i start off with learning Perl?
thanks

Search this forum for 'learning perl'. This is a good thread:
thread219-666668

[blue]"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the other head of science is BAD! Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur; it bites!!" - The Tick[/blue]

The books mentioned in that thread are really good, as is the Perl Black Book, which I find indespensible for actually solving problems. It is geared towards people who have a job to do and need a solution now, not tomorrow. ;)

One of the best books to get started is -
Elizabeth Castro's "Perl and CGI for the world wide web" Visual Quickstart Guide.
It's VERY basic and easy to understand.
There are others in the same set (e.g MySQL, PHP, etc.)

Besides the Perl Black Book which was mentioned above the next best book I use for teaching my students is “Perl and CGI” by David Lash, ISBN - 0-201-76436-9.

It teaches perl and the cgi protocol/concept with excellent examples. If I were only going to have one book, that would be it. And remarkably it’s small and cheap. About $30.00.
The Perl Black Book is thick but it contains small little sermonettes with you solving little problems your manager brings to you. It is not as good at teaching the overall concept.

Of course nothing beats a class if you are starting from class.

If you're already proficient in data structures and/or other programming languages, and you really wanna jump right in, check out "Perl Cookbook", published by O'Reilly. It's a book for those who love learning by example. Besides it's the only Perl resource I've ever used in my 3ish years of programming in Perl (besides this forum, as of a month or so ago ;)).

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back