Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning MySQL & Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd323

Technical User
Sep 1, 2005
GB
Where is the best place to pick up database management skills? I have a good knowledge of XML, VB, VBA and MSOffice (mostly Excel & Access). I have a project which requires me to learn C++, so I will be fluent in that by the end of the year.

I would prefer to learn whilst doing a job which is useful (and preferably paid), but mostly this is so I have the confidence to say, "I can do databases". I realise this may be a little naive, but I just want to know the best place to start.

Having spent a little time browing the forum, I guess MySQL & Oracle are the two things I need to get my hands wet with. Is there anyway which I can pull on my previous experiences to help me with learning these new skills?

start with mysql, because you can install it easily on your own computer in a matter of minutes

also, the mysql docs (on the mysql site) are substantially easier to work with than the oracle docs

r937.com | rudy.ca

I disagree with mySQL. If you really want to learn relation database management skills, checkout postgresql

Its easy to install and admin, and it supports all of ANSI standard syntax.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back