Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning Java

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanpierre

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
CA
Hello Folks,

I am pretty new to programming - I would like to learn Java. I tried with downloading Sun's SDK but was pretty put off by the DOS format.

Can I use a visual tool like Borland's JBuilder? Is this a good start? I want to use Java to learn about oo programming.

Are there any other free tools that can aid the process?

The university edition of JBuilder is quite good, I am sure there are other version avalibale on the borland website for free download. So it is as good a start as any. Its not a visual tool as such but rather an IDE (Integrated Development Environment).

I don't know about free tools, but if you want to learn OO, I think this is a difficult concept that should be left until after you have got fully to grips with java syntax, a good book (but not free unfortunatly) I can recommend that stakes you in little stages from basic syntax up to OO concepts is by Per Brinch Hansen called "Programming for everyone in Java". it is a very good book if you are new to it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back