Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning How to Configure RAID 5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBates

MIS
Feb 27, 2000
US
Hi RAID experts,

I'm a programmer. But I want to setup this new Xseries server. Oh boy....

It has 4 hot-swappable SCSI drives and a RAID controller.

The OS will be Windows 2000 Server.

Can anyone recommend a book or a "white-paper" that clearly lays out the steps I will need to execute to swetup the RAID controller and configure RAID 5 protection ?

Thanks for your suggestions. John

hi,
which material have you ? : CD
which server ? xseries xxx model type ?

visit

If this is the unique SCSI adapter in your system
or the unique seen, you must:

0) download
90p2772.iso 505,085,952 IBM ServeRAID support CD v6.10
or use what you have.

1) Boot from cd (linux) to configure RAID , before install W2K Server

2) run 23k4684.exe (previous site) in another pc and make a floppy

3) boot from W2k CD and press F6 when proposed

4) insert floppy previously made

5) when OS is installed, or from CD or using 23k4687.exe,
install "IBM ServeRAID Manager", to see activity.

bye

Thanks victorv,

This is a new model 345 server.

I have the ServeRAID 5.1 Support CD already. And the Driver Repository CD.

There are 4 18.2 GB hot-swap drives and an internal Raid 5i controller.

I plan to congigure for RAID 5

Do you recommend using 1 array?
2 logical drives - 1 for the OS and another for SQLS erver and programs?

Thanks for your ideas. John

hi,
your xSeries 345 is model 8670-xxx, this xxx is important to know the exact conf of the server.

However all the 345 has on board the LSI scsi controller that implementes only RAID 1

The 345 has just 1 backplane: your 6 disk slot goes all in an 1 adapter. On these server you can install the ServeRaid 5i adapter:
this hides the LSI on board, but with 5i, you can make Raid 5.

without this you cannot make 1 volume Raid 5, but you can make 2 volumes RAID 1 (using LSI)

If you install a 4?x adapter, this does not hide LSI, but cannot control your backplane, but olny external Disks.

with 4 disks, if you want make 2 logical drive, you don't need (or you cannot) make a Raid 5: at W2k level you will see 2 disks each 18 Gb (both mirrored)

bye

victorv,

Thanks for replying.
This is MODEL 8670- 51X

But I also purchased (IBM installed) a SERVRAID-5i COntroller

Can I use RAID 5 with my 4 disks?
Thanks, John

hi,
sorry for my late, but my 80% of my work is at customer sides. Probably you have already done it.

Info about your server are at:

If you have 5i installed, you will not see the integrated LSI RAID1. With 5i, you can make a RAID-5 array:
4 x 18.2 GB ==> 48 Gb logical disk

From this disk, before complete installation of OS, you can:

a) create a C partition of 48/2 = 24 Gb, and later, when OS is installed, create a D disk to use for programs and/or DB.

b) create a C partition using full logical disk (48Gb)

Notes:

1) With 2000 server you cannot use programs as Partition Magic to re-patitionate disk if a partition is too small and you have space in the other.

2) Dividing logical volumes in 2 partitions, you gain only in formal aspect of your system: the 2 disks are not physically different.

3) coupling disks in 2 x RAID 1 (2x18) you have best performances, but you lose 18 Gb ( 36 Gb vs 48), and flexibility of space: you have 2 partition of 18Gb each, and if in 1 year you have no more space in program area, you have to install program or user data in C disk, loosing what you had statement at begin.

For my opinion, make a raid5 and make a 48Gb C: disk. Many peoples don't like this, but in a year, probably, you will gain of this choice.

victor

bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back