Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

learning data warehousing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpatnam

Programmer
Oct 6, 2005
US
Hi,
I was a java programmer but now I would like to try jobs on data warehousing. If I will get a job is it easy for me? And I would like to know what kind of jobs available on data warehousing like frontend, backend. I bought a “the data warehouse lifecycle toolkit” by Ralf Kimball. Can you guys help me what else I have to learn?

Thanks in advance
Patnam

The theory is nice, but there is almost no sustitute for direct experience, so I would try to hook on to a project. One good book "from the trenches" as far as managing and executing DW projects is the Adelman book "Impossible Data Warehousing Situations". Also, in addition to Kimball, many DW implementations follow another methodology originally created by Bill Inmon. A couple books on this methodology are "Building the Data Warehouse" 3rd edition, and "Corporate Information Factory". In addition to these two major methodologies, there are some hybrid solutions.

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back