Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

a98dsu98sad8sua

Technical User
Apr 5, 2005
CA
Keeping it simple,

I want to learn C++, I have some beginner coding experience in PHP and VB!

Where do I start? What type of projects should I try and complete while I learn control structures etc?

What tools should I use? Should I go for Visual Studio (I can get hold of a copy) Or Bloodsheed C++ or Borland?

Any advice anyone could give me on starting up would be most appreciated.

T

hehe... if you want to learn c++ you gotta learn object oriented programming! that's not a small topic :( i would recommend going to google adn searching for OO tutorials and/or going to university websites adn looking up the course material for intro computer science courses!

you could start here:

but you have a long road ahead of you! good luck!

The latest VC++ compilers and IDEs are good, if you have (legal) access to one I'd suggest using it. Otherwise, Bloodshed is probably the way to go.

I'd suggest learning from a book like Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo. The greater depth you get from the book should help you. Depending on your budget, there is a whole series of very informative books that should eventually be on your library shelf if you plan to continue with C++.

Also, there is a lot more to C++ than OOP, but it would be a good idea to get a solid foundation in that when you get started, because those ideas will be useful in a lot of places. An online book called Thinking in C++ by Eckel is one option there.

Read questions and try to understand the answers on forums and newsgroups like comp.lang.c++, that will help you identify good practices and those that are frowned upon.

By the way, I have not read either book I mentioned above thoroughly, but they are commonly recommended by people whose C++ opinions I respect.

Good luck!

I found the book c++ in 21 days a big help.
That was the first c++ book I read, if you follow the lessons step by step, you get a very good base of knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back