Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LDB File Chinese Characters (Access 2013) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knicks

Technical User
Apr 1, 2002
US
I am trying to figure out why when a user is in the database their computer ID in the LDB file shows with Chinese characters. As soon as I went into the database as the 2nd user, the Chinese characters disappear and it shows the actual computer name. I don't believe it is causing any known problems as either way the database works fine. This quirk seems to have started when the regular person on that computer left on sick leave and a temp took over that person's database duties, but that is just an educated guess. The temp is listed in the security section of the LDB in addition to all users and has the same rights in the network folder.

So far it is just a big curiosity but my fear is that those characters could lead to some issues or corruption in the future. If anyone has ever had this issue before I would be curious of your experience

Guesses:
[ol 1]
[li]The user's region settings are not set to an English setting and something weird is happening as a result.[/li]
[li]Somehow the encoding is being guessed at wrong by whatever program you are using to view the LDB file but guesses better with more rows.[/li]
[/ol]

Using some of your suggestions, the one user with the Chinese characters showing in the LDB file, I experimented opening the LDB in Notepad (Chinese characters) and then Word, which showed the true computer name. So it seems to be a software reading issue as Notepad was not savvy enough initially to get it right. Oddly, it gets its act together once another user joins the fray.

Thanx for the insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back