Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LCD Replacement - Want to verify before ordering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Got a Dell Inspiron 6400 with a broken display (it jumped down some stairs all by itself). I'm trying to verify that there could be nothing else wrong with it before I order a replacement display.

The video outputs just fine to an external monitor and the PC boots, so from that I'm assuming that everything else (hard drive, motherboard) are just fine and the problem is isolated to the display.

Does that sound like a full enough analysis to order the entire display unit to fix the problem?

Could have just been a dislodged screen wire. Have you taken it apart to verify everything is securely attached?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Yeah - I've removed the connector from display to mobo. It WAS securely attached.

By the way, the screen has that classic "smashed mirror" appearance so it is totally obliterated in terms of the LCD part of it. That's not in doubt!!!

Was the laptop turned on when it fell? If so, the hard drive likely could have been damaged. It may not show at the moment, but a thorough hard drive test should be performed as a precaution.

Carl

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test
a man's character, give him power.
" - Abraham Lincoln
[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I understand your point. It was off, so it should be okay given that they park themselves AND it boots up normally.

If you like neat optical stuff, you will find at least one diffraction grating inside the broken screen, plus other diffusers and polarizers. They can be used as an art & craft material, in picture frames to brighten the picture image and to prevent reflections, as laser beam splitters, one way mirrors, spectrum producers, birefringent filters etc., depending on the construction method used to make the screen. Gloves and eye protection required though.

hehe, I took one apart a while ago just for the fun of it, and I wanted to harvest the bulb, those sheets are pretty neat looking, I had to hide them from the wife before she took them for "one of her projects".

Does anyone have a picture of this "fun stuff" that can be done with the screen? I'm not really understanding the fun potential here..

So I purchased a replacement display for $120 and it took literally 5 minutes to put in. Good as new, so that was the only problem.

Not all laptops are that easy to swap the display on so don't apply this to your laptop without researching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back