Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LCD Monitor - Shuts Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpearson

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
US
Hello,

I have a Dell LCD monitor (Widescreen) that will display, but after about one minute, the disply will go dark. The timeframe that it stays up and then shuts down is the same each time. The power LED stays green when it is working and when it goes dark. The monitor will only display again after it is powered off, then powered back on, and then will only remain on for the short duration.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

1. Connected monitor to multiple desktops and a laptop, no change in issue
2. Connected to both DVI and VGA interfaces on the monitor end and the PC end, no change in issue
3. Tried different refresh rates and other graphics configurations on the PC side, no change in issue

I will be downloading the manual, but I do not have the model number with me at this time. It has multiple graphics interfaces such as S-vid, VGA, DVI-D, and some other. Also has PiP capabilities.

Your experience and suggestions are appreciated.

Are you sure you don't have a sleep time set for this device?

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

Thanks for the reply,

There is no sleep timer set through windows Power Options. It definately acts as though it is in a sleep mode. Unsure if this mode can be adjusted through the monitor itself. I will be checking more later.

Thanks.

I performed the monitor self-test and I get the same results-While running through the self-test, it goes black after about a minute.

Many modern monitors have sleep modes, so can overide windows settings. See if there is a "Maximum Power" or "Sleep Mode Off" setting

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

==> The power LED stays green when it is working and when it goes dark.

When monitors go to sleep, the LED typically changes from green to amber. So from the surface, it doesn't seem like a sleep setting issue.

I have turned in a number of HP LCD monitors for repair over the last few years, some of which have had the same problem you described with the Dell. I've been informed by HP reps that this can be caused by overheating (common on older LCD's that have accumulated a lot of dust internally) or a defective backlight.

~cdogg
"All generalizations are false, including this one." - Mark Twain
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I had this exact problem with an HP widescreen monitor. It turned out to be a problem with the flyback transformer for the flourescent backlight. It was out of warranty. There are articles online on how to repair the item, but it was cheaper to just go out and buy a new monitor. Got a Samsung at Sam's Club. I hated to turn the old one in for recycling, because when the bacllight was lit, you could see that the rest of it was working perfectly.

Fred Wagner

Faulty power invertor board.
Very common issue on all LCD's

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Agreed. After some additional research, I too have concluded that it is the inverter board. Thanks all for your input.

Any suggestions on where to purchase a replacement board? Ill check with Dell.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back