Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lcd monitor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

detailz

Technical User
Dec 21, 2002
US
my e machine crashed last night so I purchased another one today. I hooked up my my lcd monitor to the new e machine and nothing happened. I get the initial e machine logo and the windows xp logo but then the monitor goes blank. I hooked up the original e machine monitor and everthing works fine. How can I get my lcd monitor to work?

Take your new e machine back, there is no video signal and as it is under warranty the supplier should be asked to fix it.
You may invalidate your gaurantee if you attempt any kind of repair but to be frank, you shouldn't need to touch it anyway.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Can it be that on your new machine, the graphics resolution in Windows has been set to something outside of the limits of your LCD. On your monitor menu, have it display the Vsync and Hsync frequencies. Check if they are within the range of your LCD. From your monitor, you can change these settings under XP, set them to lower values, and retry the LCD.

Sorry detailz, I didn't read your post properly.
If you are getting video output to your old monitor from the new tower it's obviously not the tower thats faulty.
It is likely that the resolution on the new unit is set too high as felixc points out.
If you can start the PC in safe mode (usually by pressing F8 on initial boot (but Dell might be differant) then reset the resolution to the native max of the new LCD.
On a 15inch TFT thats usually 1024x768 on a 17inch 1280x1024 but make sure the refresh rate isn't set too high, try 60htz to start with, then restart saving the settings.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Right, most LCD screens don't require a refresh rate higher than 60Hz (there's a huge difference in the way it works between a CRT and LCD).

Try paparazi's suggestion of rebooting with the CRT attached. Change the resolution to something lower like 1024x768, then go into Advanced and lower the refresh rate down to 60Hz. Shutdown, attach the LCD and reboot.

If that doesn't work, then try the safe mode option.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back