Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LCD Monitor goes black and flashes power button on boot up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hi all; I have a windows xp Sp2 machine.with 2 gig ram,a X1950 Pro 512mb Video card by ATI,Latest Driver 9.3 Catalyst for that card AGP,and a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 Motherboard w/ a Athlon64 X2 4400+ cpu,and a Viewsonic 19" LCD Monitor.
All of a sudden when I boot up the computer,windows starts up ok,you see the icons on the screen,almost booted all the way and the screen goes black,and the power button on the monitor flashes? Computer is booted all the way and no video on screen? turn monitor on and off,no change.I hit reset on the computer and the next time it's ok.? Weird? I see post boot ok on the monitor as it's booting ok.This just started doing this a day or so ago? Now what? Anyone have a clue on this one? tried re-seating video card,still same.checked connections all ok,when it's working,all games etc.are all ok,no video problems in games.Thankyou for and Idea's anyone has.

Try SAFE MODE which will reduce the resolution and let you know if it's resolution or driver related.

If not, see if you can plug the PC into a friend's monitor or another one you might have to see if it's monitor-related.

I turned down the hertz on the monitor from 70hz to 60hz on the desktop,has worked 3 boot-ups now.don't know why this has to happen all of a sudden,always worked at 70hz,why all of a sudden I have to change to 60hz and that seem's to work ok? I thought this Viewsonic VX922 19" monitor was ok with 70hz? I have the desktop only set to 1024x768 70hz,all my games run in 1280x1024 70hz.All of a sudden I have to change the desktop to 60hz? so it boots up ok,without a flashing green light and no video when first booted up? what's up with that? Any other Idea's 60hz seems to be working on the desktop,games still at 1280x1024 70hz and working.

working ok at 60hz desktop,booting up everytime,changing to 70hz in game settings no problem.I thought it was the start of a power supply failure in the monitor.Now I don't get the flashing green light and black screen on the desktop when I boot up,with it set at 60hz.I don't get it?? Worked forever at 70hz,now all of a sudden I have to change it to 60hz.Anyone have a clue on this? Monitor is 3yr's 4 months old,maybe it's just getting old? week power supply? maybe can't handle 70hz at boot up. I don't know picture is great and nice and bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back