Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LCD monitor desktop area - can't chage it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

willmilner

Technical User
Oct 15, 2002
GB
Recently had to reinstall Windows ME due to a breakdown of IE. (Error message: Exp. has caused an error in SHELL32.DLL - explorer will now close"??

Reinstalled ME and all initially looks good BUT - monitor desktop area stuck on 640x480HZ and hence all fonts appear enormous. Tried to change it to 1024x768HZ via Settings/Control Panel/Display etc but when I restart the PC to alllow the new settings to take effect they remain on the 640x480HZ settings. Any ideas pls?

1. you are starting in safe mode each time. Press F8 as you start to boot normally.

2. Check device manager that you video device is recognised - and install drivers!

3. Check for a monitor driver if you can find one.

4. That Error is something i got all the time with IE6/win98. Try to install again, or use a better browser such as mozilla. T3/\/\p()
tek-tips UK branch!

Personally, I have found Windows ME to be the most unstable of the recent Windows releases. The problem that you are describing is not uncommon in ME environments. As a Tech./Administrator of around 7 years or so, I'd say recover/backup any information you can, and load an OS such as Windows 2000 or XP, heck, even Windows 98 and 95 were more stable than ME, however, I'd suggest a minimum of Windows 2000 if you plan on doing a lot of multimedia activity. Hope this helps.

Tried everything - all drivers for montherboard/ monitor etc have been reinstalled - cannot get the monitor to move from 600x480 pixels. Also loads of other probs with ME such as can't get the machine to shut down, machine hibernates then won't respnd to mouse movement or keystroke - continually have to switch off at the wall and run scan disc (painful) Am off to buy XP and start again unless anyone can offer a solution which won't line Bill Gate's pocket even more...

Be sure to fdisk, format and clean install the XP. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [idea]

no brain,

where is the best place to seek greater knowledge ie how do I "fdisk, format and clean install XP" I'm assming I'm OK to upgrade to XP from my current (corrupted) version of ME.

Thanks for the advice

Since ME is "corrupted" you may have problems trying to "upgrade". It's recommended to clean install, anyway. I think XP gives you that option. I'm not that familiar with that aspect of it, anyone want to tackle that subject? "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [idea]

Your problem is a simple one. This is a drivers issue. Microsoft WinME has many driver that it "thinks" (through PnP) that it may be the correct one when it is not. Go to the computer manuf.'s website and look for drivers. Many times, you will be unable to find the drivers you are looking for on their site. If this is the case, you should call them and give them hell. I usually tell them I am a tech from a store (almost any store name will do) and I am unable to find the proper drivers. I am currently dealing with a NEC laptop with the same problem for a friend. I have had this laptop for months because I cant get NEC to get up off their a$$e$ and give me somthing to go on.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back