Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Layers, Screen Resolution; Newbie stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckyBaby

Technical User
Sep 23, 2000
US
Hello - probably a basic question, as I embark on my first webpage in Dreamweaver.

I am designing most of the page layout using Layers because it just seems easier at this point. So I have everything layed out on the page looking nice for my computer that's set at 1024 x 768 res. I take it to work and it looks crazy on my 800 x 600 res pc.

How do you all design pages with the concept of pixel resolution - how do I do this? Am I wrong for using layers - should I be placing and telling all my text, graphics to center themselves on the page so it stays relative to screen size?

Not sure what to do - don't understand this design concept
THanks!
Bucky [sig][/sig]

Just off the top of my head, the standard way to do it is to design for the smaller resolution. Tables set to 100% will re-size to the proper screen size, but graphics should be no bigger than that smaller size you mentioned, or else they get cut off. Can use a combination of the two to create illusion that its all sized correctly. Also, can convert layers to table, will help if using a browser that doesnt support layers. Always apply the Netscape resize fix to keep layers in place on re-size. [sig][/sig]

If you are coming from a print design background you have to remeber that your pages will look different on different browsers and personel settings (No nit picking)! I prefer to put my graghics and text in exact tables not percentage tables this way the actual design does remain intact. I use layers in the design stage (design for 640 wide) then switch to tables and center the whole thing. [sig][/sig]

I create the layout in photoshop 5.5 at 600x440 (even though my resolution is set to 1280x1024) then through imageready export slices to html then I edit the html code in dreamweaver. Imageready automaticaly makes nice tables for you. Try not to use layers, they don't work in any 3.0 browsers and their positions aren't always as exact as you want them to be. If you use layers for layout make sure you export to 3.0 compatible.

I used like yourself to use layers a great deal. Now I find that because their position is pixel exact pages created using layer can look very different on different screeen resolutions. I know I should be bothered about older browsers but frankly most people don't use them. My site is it is not designed to look overly flashy merely download reasonably quickly and convey information quickly.

regards Michael [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back