Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Layer Mask -> how do I feather a perfect circle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

guava65

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
US
I'm trying to feather a photo so that the result is a nice circular fade.

I've seen this done but can never seem to achieve the desired result.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance [bigsmile]

Aloha,
cg

Guava,

Maybe this is what you're looking for?

Use the circular marquee tool (it's the dashed circle that you will find if you hold down the mouse button over the dashed square marquee in the toolbar). Using the circular marquee tool, drag across the section of your photo that you want to keep. Hold down the Shift button to make sure it is a perfect circle. Use the space bar to move the selection without changing its size.

Depending on the version of PS you have, there are different ways to specify the amount of feathering you want. If you're using version 7, I would hit Ctrl + Alt + "D" after getting the selection right where you want it. (I think that's the shortcut key for feathering.) Then pick an amount that you want to feather.

Next I would hit Ctrl + "I" to invert the selection. Then I would hit "Delete". This should leave you with a feathered circle around your picture. Note that you probably won't notice the effect of the feathering until you do this step.

Your subject line mentioned a layer mask, I don't think you need to use a layer mask to accomplish the task you ask for in your question. See if this works and if not, let us know and we'll hit it again.

--rj

PS is the answer you're looking for covered in your manual?

you could make a layer mask and use the radial gradient tool. It's another way of getting the same/similar effect.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

thanks for the help. Works great!

Aloha,
cg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back