Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Launching vb app(exe) from asp page...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SrkrReds

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
US
Hi:

We have a vb app(x.exe) that currently is being launched from MSAccess forms. Is there anyway to use the same app to launch from a web application(asp page, when user clicks on a button). Can someome help me out in this matter, on how to do this or point me to some website??

THanx in advance...

I'm almost certain that it's not possible. There's serious security issues involved with launching executables on browsers\client side. I think the wway you'd have to do it is request the user's permission to download and then they'd have to take it from there Cyprus

This is an intranet application. I tried something like below
Code:
<A href=&quot;[URL unfurl="true"]http://myServer/TestProj/TestProj.exe&quot;>Run[/URL] Application</A>
. When the link Run Application is clicked a file download dialog box displayed with 2 options, &quot;Run this program from it's current location&quot; and &quot;Save this program to disk&quot;. When the first option selected I get another Security Warning dialog box of &quot;Authenticate signature not found&quot; and clicking Yes will launch the exe.

My question now is: I need to pass some arguments to this TestProj.exe. How do I pass arguments in this case. In my Access application I shell out as Shell(TestProj.exe arg1, arg2, arg3).

If anyone has an idea on how to tackle this or if this is even doable, please help.
Any help is appreciated. All this because we are web enabling our access application and want to use the existing vb app without recoding everything in asp (time crunch..). thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back