Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Launching Netscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmsman

MIS
Jun 9, 1999
US
Does anyone know if there is a way to launch Netscape whereby a Netscape profile that matches the Windows 98 username is automatically chosen without having to go through the Netscape profile manager? Is this an undocumented Netscape command switch? This used to just work automatically way back in Netscape 3. Why does it not work like MSIE?<br>

Well; I <i>can</i> answer your last question: because MSIE probably uses one of Microsoft's <i>undocumented</i> API calls in order for the program to dertermine which user is logged in on the machine......as far as your question as to why this doesn't work with Netscape anymore; the Netscape programmers probably happened on to Microsoft's old, undocumented call that allows MSIE to do this, but then M$ just found out about it & changed the call so they could still have their exclusive market all to themselves there.....just my thoughts. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back