Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Launch MS Access from Lotus Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISUTri

MIS
Mar 25, 2004
US
I'm trying to write an agent so that when I receive a certain email with a certain attachment Lotus Notes will Automatically detach the file and place it in a specified directory. Then launch MS Access for an update that needs to go along with this file. So far I've successfully detached the file and launched MS Access. The problem is we have passwords on our MS Access updates and so I need to pass the password along. My code right now is the following, can I get Notes to open access with my password?

@Command( [Execute]; "C:\\File\\File.mdb" "//user USERNAME//pwd PASSWORD")

Thanks for your help!

Automatic agents run on the server. A When New Mail Arrives agent is automatically executed by the server, not the client, when mail is deposited to your Inbox.
The server does not have access to your disk, or your ID file - which contains the credentials you wish to use.
Therefor, I doubt that what you wish for become available in the form you want it.
Fortunately, it is not necessary to use your credentials to do what you need. Unfortunately, it is also impossible to launch MS Access on your client from the server.
You might be able to semi-automate what you want by placing the necessary code in the Query Open event of the database script, but that will surely require LotusScript to do the job.

Pascal.

You can use IBM WebSphere DataStage TX to get e-mail from Notes, validate the data and insert or update any ODBC database.

Might be overkill for what you want.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

The websphere might be overkill but maybe it'd be worth learning just for something new.

However, the way I have it working now is I call the Agent from the Actions drop down menu. So it doesn't run if Notes is closed. I would like to automate it but I just wanted to find out how i can pass my username and password for Access from Lotus Notes so it logs in completely to Access.

Something I'm missing here : why do you need to log into Access ? Isn't that installed locally ? When I launch Access I don't have a password requirement.

Pascal.

You can set Access to require a login or not.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

We have password set up on our system. All of our apps have them and when we log into Access for anything we need a password. With my ID I can get in to see the code, this keeps the users out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back