Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Launch IE from link clicked in FireFox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBones

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
At work we have a couple web apps that were written using MS tools, so they only work in IE. A lot of people prefer FireFox as their default browser. Is there a way (hopefully an HTML tag or parameter) to cause the link to open up in IE, even if they were using something else when they clicked the link?

I know the "[tt]target="_blank"[/tt]" for a new window or tab, but how do I make that come up in IE, regardless of the browser that's being used.

There are Firefox Add-Ons available for this. IEView has the ability to store a list of websites that are always to be opened with IE.

Richard

Hi Richard, thanks for the info. I'm actually trying to find something that doesn't require browser add-ons. I have no control over the browsers that may be hitting my site, and what add-ons they may have or not have. I was looking for some way to launch a link in IE regardless of which browser they are using.

That is a cool add-on though. I will be using it. Thanks again.

I don't know if this will work in all browsers, but it's worth a shot. Create your initial page as an HTML Application (.HTA) file instead of anything else, as this extension will probably be registered to open with IE.

Then in your HTA, you can redirect to wherever it is you wanted to go initially.

More on HTAs here:
As I said, it might not work, but it's worth a crack I reckon.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Snippets & Info:
The Out Atheism Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back