Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Launch a report from a database procedure call. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andthereyouare

Programmer
Apr 9, 2002
US
Hello, I've worked in reports6i for about 3 years now but this situation has got me stumped.

Currently I have my reports being called from Oracle forms which work great. Now I'm into automating or shall I say scheduling them automatically. I have a Database procedure call that produces a delimited text file(that was created "not" using Report Builder, just PL/SQL) that I email to users. This works great. Now the users want reports to visually verify that my delimited text file is all correct. So I created an RDF (from report builder 6i) to display in a nice visual report version for the users.

Here's my problem:
I can't seem to use "Report_Object" to kick off the report. Since it's just a procedure call on the database which is not within an Oracle form. The report is in PDF format. Does anyone have any ideas how to get around this? Any help would be fantastic. In the meantime, I'm still trying to figure something out.

What about just changing the sequence of actions: the good-looking PDF report runs first, and then you call your DB procedure from withing the report.

Thanks nagornyi for the very quick response.

The DB procedure actually populates a table that the report is based on. But even if that wasn't the case you still would need to so how launch the report based on a client form since it uses "Report_Object".

I have actually figured out a work around for the situation. I have created an oracle form to launch the report using "Report_Object". Within the code of launching the report I have submitted an interval time. So on the report server the actual report remains "Scheduled" to run everyday at 6:00pm (there are no parameters to worry about). Within the report itself(in a before report trigger) I check to see if the base table has data, if so it executes the report, if not it simply exits the report. The Oracle form is only required once or if you wanted to reschedule the interval at a different time or day. It's alot of dancing around to handle what would be a simple concept, but it actually works pretty well and it will make the users happy.

Again Thanks for your quick response in the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back