Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

latest software, firmware & patches for Option81C

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccmjgb

Vendor
Feb 1, 2011
US
Hi,

I have a 2 part question:

1) How can I get the software & firmware versions running on an Option 81C system including all line cards?
2) What are the most up-to-date versions of software for an Option81C?

Need to audit a system to see if it is a candidate for software upgrades/patches etc... (~10 years old and may be running on original builds)

Thank you!

The latest software is 7.6, suppose to be the last release also.

thank you kcflhrc... can you please provide commands on how to retrieve current software loaded and card firmwares?

LD 22

ISS

This will give you the software Release and version.

If it's 10 years old it may be a fork lift upgrade. Or at the very minimum a card cage upgrade.

LD 22
ISS

version 3321
release 4
issue 00 T +
idle_set_display ...Emergency x911...

kcflhrc, a few questions if I may...

Are the system components on the above release compatible with higher level releases?

Do upgrades to release 7.x cost anything or are they freely downloadable?

Would applying all patches/fixes to release 4 be a more reasonable option than upgrading to the current release 7.x?

What are the differences between 4 & 7?

To answer those questions, you need to engage with a vendor to do an audit on your system so see what would need to be replaced to upgrade to the latest.

Hi,
It is not directly compatible with new software versions.
You will have to replace some hardware, and if it isnt it has to be converted to an IP system. CS1000M MG or CS1000E.
The price for the upgrade is based on new hardware, number of installed extension licenses etc.
The release now is 7.6 and as mentioned before it will be the last release for CS1000.
However, it does not mean CS1000 is end of sale.
CS1000 systems will be supported > 2020.
You can buy new CS1000 systems, make licens expansions etc for a long time.
New features are not done by making an upgrade anymore. New features are added with different applications.
So, the CS1000 can be used for a long time and with added functionality from different applications.

Your original question on a previous thread refered to a sysload. On all large Option 51 to 81 systems that I've been on that have had a major outage of one sort or another, more than 3/4 of them were down to the standby power or recifiers.

I'd get your batteries checked first. One site I went on last year had two power outages on a large 81c at 4.5 and we found two batteries where the connectors had corroded away due to lack of mntce by the customer.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

thank you very much for your input - very appreciated...

seenback: thank you for clarifying the end-of-sale topic as this was a questions I had. The idea is to extend the life of this system as long as possible instead of replacing it all together so knowing that it will be supported for at least another 5 years reinforces this idea.

firebirdscrambler: thank you for sharing the experience and the awareness brought to the batteries - I'll look into this and see if anything is found. The possibility of a power disruption was the 1st thing considered when the issue was reported but there was no site power issues that day so it was 'dismissed', but now that you bring up the battery/rectifier topic, it indeed could have been related. I've superficially inspected the batteries and have not noticed anything, but will look closer.

now if I may, a follow up question: the idea is to bring this system to the most current & stable software version using the hardware already in place... as noted above, it is currently at: version 3321, release 4, issue 00 T + so what software build can be used to support this idea? Need to run this system stable until end-of-sale / support.

Thank you!

You really need to engage an Avaya Partner to do an audit on your phone system to see what hardware and software is needed to do your upgrade. No one here will be able to tell you for sure what is needed without this audit. This will determine card vintages etc that may not be compatible with the new software.

I understand that you are new to the Nortel world and fully understand some of the problems you face. Personally, the Option 61 to 81 range of systems will work for many years without problems. The problem for some customers are that they forget it's there and don't carry out any maintainence checks such as cleaning the trays of dust and batteries etc.

I've known many customers upgrade only to find that they have more problems than before. Having dual processors and good quality hardware means that these beasts will plod on for a long time.

I've still got a few big switch customers on release 21 that are working fine. If anything, the newer hardware isn't a patch on the older kit. Release 4.0 wasn't that bad a release although 4.5 was better.

Anyway, as stated above, you might need to call on the services of a tech for more advice.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

thank you both! I appreciate the empathy... the situation is a little complicated to explain, but the intent was just to get a general idea/recommendation e.g. release 4.5 is better than 4 and supports most of the hardware on the release 4. Now if there are possibilies that line cards or other hardware components are not compatible with 5.x etc... then the search ends with 4.5. If 4.5 may end up with the need to replace X amount of incompati5tble line cards, then the search ends with 4. The site doesn't want to spend on un-needed upgrades if the current platform will be OK for the next 5+ years.

Thank you again for your replies!

One of the good things about the Nortel kit was that some of the IPE cards such as digital and analogue extension cards were common across many of the various software releases. As long as you can still obtain the core spares such as CPU's Power units and network cards, even though they rarely fail, then the switch will still be good for a few more years.

The key question is obtaining support from the manufacturer, should you need it. It's unlikely that it would be needed these days as most of the bugs would have been sorted out by now.

The old motto I use is "If it's working, then leave it alone!" could be altered to
"If it's still working and does what you want it to do, then leave it alone to do it's job!"

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Many thanks for your feedback... I've taken a peek at the Avaya timeline and it appears that the only option for upgrade would really be 7.6 if upgrade is the choice. Being that there is a surpluss of spare equipment for the Option81, patching and "tuning up" the current system should be OK if the risk of "no MFR" support is accepted until a new system is in place. But if the lack of "MFR support" is unacceptible, the options would be upgrade to 7.6 and have the system online until ~2018-2020 or replace the system before July 2015... thinking out loud. I'll need to audit hardware and see what of the Option81C version 4 can be kept and used with a 7.6 and what components will need to be new. Any hints or feedback here is welcomed and appreciated - thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back