Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Latest pm/business-speak bs buzzword 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmr777

Programmer
Aug 16, 2006
US
Optics". You can't just say "what does it look like" any more. The correct pm way is now "what are the optics of this (insert pm-babble-speakish noun instead of normal object description)".
WHERE do these things originate?
WHY do they originate?
WHO originates them and WHY are they so opposed to speaking normally?

I actually first heard this use in political discussions. As in politicians won't discuss certain issues because "the optics are bad".

I guess that makes them look better than if you said, "They don't want to talk about anything that makes them look bad". That shows fear/cowardice, and is a fairly negative statement.

The one benefit is, the first time I heard it, I did pretty much know what was meant without any explanation. Some words survive because they are a useful shorthand for an idea. Whereas some slang takes a bit of explaining to start conveying meaning.

I personally think this type of word (mis)use comes out of Marketing Departments. Those are some weird people. [bigsmile]

Once I overheard a meeting where the word bandwidth was substituted for time. For example do you have 'time' for a meeting. Instead 'do you have the bandwidth for a meeting now?' I cringed.

Slang.

Interestingly, in French the word optique has for a long time been used to mean a point of view or a context. For example, Ç'est dans optique que le projet a lieu, which perhaps translates as "It is in that context the project is taking place."

MIke

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

On a recent project, a full-scale integrated system test was referred to by upper management as a "dress rehearsal".
WTF, and I don't mean WedThuFri.

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

johnherman said:
On a recent project, a full-scale integrated system test was referred to by upper management as a "dress rehearsal".

I would have complained to management that "I don't care how important it is, I ain't wearin' no dress!"

johnherman said:
WTF, and I don't mean WedThuFri.

Of course everyone knows the real meaning... [wink]
Welcome To Facebook.

I saw a biker on a Harley with a patch that read, "FTW". I'm guessing "Fine Two Wheeler".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back