Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Latency Issues with Remote Offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcorbett

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2002
US
We're an organization with a headquarters office and 2 smaller branch office locations spread out across the country. We use router to router l2tp vpn technology for private connections between our remote offices and headquarters. The branch offices require a connection to our headquarters for email, files, and a customized SQL server back-ended application. One branch office seems to be able to get these resources ok but when using a computer at the other branch, accessing files and using applications from headquarters is extremely slow. We're using 2.3 mbps SDSL at headquarters & 1.5 mbps SDSL at each of our branch locations. I'm trying to decide whether to implement a new WAN technology (T1 or Frame Relay) or whether to concentrate on deploying faster VPN routers. I guess I'm just not sure on what tests to run to find out where the latency is coming from. Has any one had experience with a network deployment like this and had to tackle a latency problem? What you did to fix this would be great to know! Thanks.

Something that may help you out is an application called Citrix, it uses Terminal Serives. We use it for a variety of purposes. Remote access from home for some uses or Sales staff on the road. WAN branches to minimize the traffic going accross the ciruit. If it doesn't fit your needs, check into LAN extentions from service provider in your area. We've used them there pretty good, basically the telco supplies you with access onto their network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back