Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LaserWriter Pro 630; How Do I Change Its Network Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteWeedon

Technical User
Dec 29, 2002
GB
Hi,

I originally posted this and some other questions in the 'General Printer Discussion' area but I got no response. I hope that I shall be forgiven for repeating part of the post here.

I have borrowed a LaserWriter Pro 630 printer from a friend who has recently acquired it second-hand. There are no handbooks or User Instruction manuals with it and the friend has not used it.

Please can anyone tell me how to change the Network name for the printer, i.e. the name that appears on the Chooser and on the power-up test page?

I have tried the 'Namer' software which came with my own PLW NT but I got an error message 'No printer or device files can be found on your boot disk!'. I guess that part of this situation is that I am using the printer with a Performa 5300 (via LocalTalk) and the 5300 has an IDE hard drive, is this correct?

Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs - you haven't seen the latest Change Note!

You should be able to use the LaserWriter utility. It's been awhile since I've done it but I believe you pick the printer in the chooser and then run the LaserWriter utility which should have a option under one of the menus to name the printer.

mbowens:

Many thanks for your reply to my post.

I don't seem to have the LaserWriter utility on my OS8.1 CD; I guess I'll have to download it from the Apple site?

Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs - you haven't seen the latest Change Note!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back