Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laserjet 8150dn constantly going offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cushlash

Technical User
Jun 19, 2015
US
My office just inherited a 8150dn from another tenant and I can't get the printer to stay online. It stays online for about a day and then goes offline (likely related to the powersave cycle). Pushing the green button does wake it up, but it stays offline. The only way to get it back online is to power cycle. The firmware version is L.20.06. Any suggestions on what might be the issue? Is it possibly a firmware or hardware issue on the printer or maybe a printer setting?

If you eliminate the Powersave option, does it stay online? How are you connected to the device? USB or network? If network, are you on a static IP or a dynamic one? I didn't see any firmware downloads on HP's website for this model.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

We are connecting through the network on a static IP. I too couldn't locate a firmware update. Do I need a service contract to get one from HP? If leaving the powersave off is the solution, I'm concerned the printer will burnout.

Any thoughts on what to do?

Test the printer for a couple of days with the power save function off. If it behaves during those days then we have at least surmised the cause of the issue. Then we can dive into the settings and see if there isnt a way to keep the network card active while it is in power save.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back