Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LaserJet 4250 - loud grinding or slipping gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbMark

Programmer
Apr 10, 2003
US
Well, now I have two, yes two, HP LaserJet 4250 printers making a horrible racket around the fuser. Obviously the gears are grinding or slipping and it sounds like a jackhammer the first few seconds when you turn them on and the gears cycle. Is it a known problem with the fusers, or could it be something else?

I saw this thread697-1436185 which indicates "the most likely problem is the rear gear and swing plate." Another possibility is a gear in the swing assembly?

When I say loud, it is very loud, the gears are obviously slipping. I looked at the dark rear gear, one edge of the gears looks a little worn, the side toward the center of the printer, dark shavings dust below. The other printer is clean inside, little apparent wear.

Like I wrote in that thread earlier... Give your local HP support a call and ask them about this issue. There should be a service note on the issue. Make sure to inspect the fuser gears also to check whether they need replacement or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back