Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laserjet 1100 sounds like a dying yak when printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadroeder

Technical User
Feb 26, 2003
US
Hello. When I print with the laserjet 1100, it emits a groaning, mournful sound, much like a donkey with tuberculosis, or a cow with an infected toenail (believe me, i know these sounds). It prints fine otherwise, but this awful sound it makes has got to go! Any ideas? Thank you!

CR

Have you checked the belts/gears? There may be something rubbing, jammed or loose. Try removing the components and cleaning the unit.

Remember, there are parts that are light sensitive (the drum i think but cant remember). open the unit in a dark location and don't shine lights directly on or in the unit or components.

Hope that helps

Grinding noises might be the gear while thumping noises usually comes from the fuser. If it´s a whining perhaps the output assy rollers are worn.

Thank you all. I will today attempt to ascertain the nature of the beastly wailing. It really is terrible.

CR

Moaning is usually a sign that some slow turning shaft is binding in a bearing then releasing, only to bind again.
It is normally followed by the gear driving it wearing teeth down. You might look for the telltale pile of residue from the gear.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

edfair or hpwizzard,

I have an HP 8100 broken down like the one described here. It made thumping noises and failed to pull the paper through. Looking inside, I saw the fuser gear is chewed up. From what I read here, even if I get the gear replaced (not sure if fusers can be repaired), there might be some underlying problem other than a chewed up plastic gear?

First thing to do is eliminate the toner cartridge as the problem...try a different one...even and empty, just to see if noise goes away.

Well, after trying everything, I came up with a solution...

a new 1100!

thanks for your posts

And that 8100 I mentioned is getting dusty in storage.

Don't know about the donkey or cow, but sounds like the same solution as for the yak!!

dbMark
The fuser gear chewed up is probably a sign that there is a bind further down the gear chain or a cracked gear that is causing a bind.
Suspect that you can find a part from one of the HP parts sellers on ebay.
Another way to find HP sellers is a google search for HP errors, several HP parts sources have web pages with error code listing.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back