Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laserjet 1020, printing stops in the middle of job

Status
Not open for further replies.

estech25

Technical User
Jan 26, 2005
IR
I have a wired problem with a 1020 printer I just bought. Am using Windows XP Professional SP2 and the printer stops printing in the middle of a print job. Job stays in queue with a "PRINTING" status, and everything is normal. The amber light on printer does not flash either and it's just as if no jobs have been submitted to the printer. I have had this problem with PDF docs so far, but it's just been a single day since I got my printer, so I cant say for sure whether this problem can happen to other types of prints or not. Anybody got any clues? Anyone run into same problem? I thought this might be a driver problem (ie, too much data sent to printer as to flood printer buffer.)

The LJ1020 is a cheap 'host-based' device, which means that:

(a) It doesn't understand traditional page description languages (PCL5, PCL6, Postscript).

(b) The formatting processing is done on the host PC, which then transmits encapsulated, compressed, page images to the device, which then just reverses this process.

(c) I believe that it also relies on a bi-directional link between the PC and the printer to support handling of this protocol; I don't think that this is supported if the printer is connected via print servers (but I could be wrong).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back