Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laser Typesetter Faint Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWilent

Technical User
Sep 21, 2002
US
I have a GCC XL 1208 B&W laser typesetter (1200 dpi). Handles tabloid size pages. Problem: Text and line art come out fine -- nice and black -- but greyscale photos and graphics (or color ones, for that matter) all print very faint -- so light that they are barely visible. I've tried a new toner cartridge -- same results. Tried adjusting print desity on the printer itself -- no change. Tried turning on and off the printer's "AccuGray" mode -- no change.

The same images/graphics print fine on other printers.

Any ideas?

All computers it runs on the same OS?

What port is the device attached to?

Any errors in device manager for the problem device?

What application are you printing from?

My first reaction is that it's a driver issue...but you've given so precious few details on the situation...I'd have to have more to go on before effectively troubleshooting the issue.

I'm running in Windows XP Home, a stand-alone machine, plenty of RAM in the PC and the printer, using LPT1. I have the latest driver from GCC -- WinXP compatible. This faint-graphics problem occurs from all programs -- my main concern is with PageMaker 7.01, but I get the same results with other programs, such as CorelDRAW, PhotoShop, Acrobat, etc.

I can find no device errors or conflicts.

If I attach my HP LaserJet to the same serial port, graphics come out as expected -- not faint.

I dunno what other deatils to report....

Thanks for your input!

Now you're talking!
My SO is bowling tonite...she's in the printing business...and hopefully she'll clue us in...details before 10!

Well, talked with the wife and she said the problem is either with the printer (as in the settings) or with the driver (even tho I told her you had the latest ones).
No joy in that!
She said she's run into some strange problems...and I'm amazed at how cross-platform (as in knee-deep in applications) you guys work. She's working on a thorny one with scanners right now.
Anyway, did some looking at groups.google.com on your subject and came across a discussion of the Elite...albeit a conversation among photographers, and was intrigued by the "tweaking" they were talking about...maybe some insight:

Surely as much as they must CO$T there's some support that comes along with it?

email GCC support on this one. they are helpful.
we support this printer in Canada...I think it is either a high voltage power supply problem, which supplies the ump to give you dark print,
Brother had the same problem, but it was partially due to their drum coating.

we had a GCC 12/1200 in for repairs, our inhouse made toner was actually better graphics than the GCC brand. Roy Hanson
Technical Support
eco-toner systems, inc.
London, ontario, Canada
printerman@isp.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back