Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large Upgrade; Which Version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidshokk

Technical User
Jan 31, 2007
GB

We are looking to upgrade around 19 sites from 3.0 to either version 5 or version 6 but require assistance with deciding which to go to please.

Each of the sites have digital phones and a couple have IP phones too and there is no SCN in place.

Is it worth choosing version 5 to avoid paying for version 6 upgrade licenses for each site and therefore avoiding the future upgrade costs (bearing in mind they have stayed on 3.0 since it was released). It needs to also be as cheap as possible as they are having to replace quite a few of the sites as they have IP403 units.

Also, does anyone have a simplified document detailing the pros/cons when deciding between version 5 & 6?

Thanks

The best reason is why is this upgrade ?

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

Sarcasm, it's only one of the services I offer.

I am with Peter on that one, do they NEED to upgrade or do they want to

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

Well they have a couple of bugs (Im told they are bugs) where individual phones will suddenly display "please wait"... now I know there was an issue with the DS30 modules and the power supplies which have been swapped out at each site but they still occasionally have the problem....

I will try and get further clarification on the reasoning...

You often get "Please Wait" on a previuosly functioning phone when some idiot plugs a PC or other device into a Dig module, when you arrive they have since unplugged it and after you reboot the system "the bug" has gone....until the next time they do it :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Then go for 5.0.22
No need to spend the extra money on 6.0
Also 6.1 needs an upgrade license too and them 7.0 comes and then you are talking spring next year for another upgrade license.

Thanks

I assume only one upgrade license would be required to upgrade from say version 6 to 8 in the future and not a license per maor build in between?

From 6.0 to 6.1 you need a license so from 6.0 to 8.0 can be 15 licenses the way is going now.

If they need to replace some 403 units, then this will be with 500v2, i.e. 6.0
I think it's better to have as much sites as possible at the same release. It's easier for you.
I woud not think to much about the cost for the upgrade. It's really minimal.

You still can buy an IP500V1, they are not EOS.

a 500V2 with a combo card and then reprogram from scratch to make sure that it works after the upgrade and you should be golden, that way you are all on R6 and the cost is really not so high. A 500V2 with a combo card is less than an IP403 was.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back