Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

large text files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jez

Programmer
Apr 24, 2001
VN
Hi everyone,

I have had an interesting situation today.
Running Apache on windows 2003, the error log swelled from about 100k to 700mb due to a single bad script error.

Is there is anything in the world of windows that can cope with that, tail comes to mind, but that is a unix tool.
SED, Perl, Bash all these could do the job, but everything i have googled for windows wants me to install something. This is not an option as i am not the sys admin.

Any thoughts as i could do with seeing what caused this error and putting a stop to it.

Thanks

Wherever possible the simplest technique I have found was to just do the following

echo . > logifle

Essentially I am replacing the contents of the log file with a blank.
Give this a try. see if it helps

Thanks that was able to blank the file which will be useful, but i guess there is nothing that could read it or any part of it.

Thanks again.

Tail.exe is part of the Windows 2003 Resource kit. Works in a similar way to the *nix version.

Regards

Martyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back