Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large text field, Impromptu, IWR - 2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyBoop

Programmer
Jul 2, 2002
US
Hello everyone,

I have a rather large text field I am attempting to bring into an Impromptu report. At this time, I'm unable to bring the data into the report. (Impromptu 6, upgrading to 7 series in 2 weeks)

First, it is coming in as a text field; In a blank report the field will come in - but only a few characters (approx. 20 to 30 characters). How do I raise the limit for the field to come in so I see the entire "Comments" data? Does this have to be set as varchar?

Second, after I find a way to bring the data in and show the entire "comments" field, will this report deploy correctly via IWR?

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions!
~Becky~

Hi,

Go to Insert-TextFrame, drag and drop into IMR report.

Select the TextFrame, right click Data Definition [Select the Required Field], that should work.

It works in IWR also.

Note : I have used the same where my comment field is about varchar(1250)

Regards
Santhosh

I just finished inserting the text frame; however, when I select the text frame and right click the "data definition" is greyed out.... ?

Becky,

Is the column only returning 20-30 characters, or is it only displaying 20-30 characters? Try to change the horizontal size of the column in the report to a fixed larger size rather than allowing it to size itself.

Let me know what this does.

Regards,

Dave Griffin
The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

At this time, in the actual report, it's not showing anything. When I run a blank report, pull the field in, and adjust the size, it will bring the field in.

In the actual report that I want the "comments" field in, I am now getting an Error Number - general exception - 'asynchronous open'.

Why would it bring the text into a blank/new report, and not the actual report?

Things just keep getting better! I have started back-tracking in the actual report, taking out one column at a time, and adding the "Comments" column (process of elimination). I am now receiving an Oracle error:

"Error number -239:

DMS-E-GENERAL, A general exception has occurred during operation 'prepare request'.
DMS-E-GENERAL, A general exception has occurred during operation 'prepare request'.
ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype"

Still, I can create a brand new list report and the "Comments" field will come in fine. ?? Am I just having a bad day or what?!

Becky,

Notes from the Cognos Knowledgebase:

When executing a report, the following error is generated:
ORA-00997: utilisation illégale du type de donnée long
(error ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype)
Solution:

In your Oracle database version you cannot use a column of datatype LONG in a function, a DISTINCT, WHERE, CONNECT BY, GROUP BY, or ORDER BY clause. A LONG value can only be used in a SELECT clause.

Problem Description

Using a substring on a long data type from Oracle database, Impromptu does not recognize it as a string. Retrieves only a portion of a field.

Solution Description

The Long Datatype is a Blob, a large chunk of text, hence not recognize as a string.

Query on that field alone, save it as a hot file, and from the hot file do the substring.

For more information concerning Blob fields, consult you Impromptu Online Help file, or search on the key words: "blob" and "text".

Bottom Line
You can include a LONG Oracle datatype in your report, but you cannot do functions on it.

HTH,

Dave Griffin
The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back