Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large temp file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markguttridge

Technical User
Sep 19, 2001
GB
the temp file in my winNT folder has grown to 26Gb in size, the disk cleanup utility does not read the folder and now my hard drive is full. is it safe to delete the contents or do i have to be cautious?
also any one know why it would grow so large?

Do you mean the temp folder? (\winnt\temp). Or the user temp folder \Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp?

If so, can't you just look in it using explorer to see what's using up all the space? 26GB is a lot of temp files! (installs writing files there and not clearing them out most common - but would take a while to reach 26GB normally). Deleting its contents shouldn't cause a problem.

Have you up to date anti-virus and spyware software running?

Hi Wolluf, thanks for responding

Its the temp folder the files that are taking up space are .tmp files old04.tmp for example. I don't know what their function is.

Markquttridge:

Did you solve your problem with the huge temp folder? Mine was much larger than yours and each time I tried to delete it the response was that some of the files may be in use by some other program or I did not have permission to delete it.

What I did was to take ownership of the file or floder by going to the properties box for that file, click on Security and check to see if you have permissions enough to delete it. If not and you are the Administrator then change the permissions and take ownership of it and you'll be able to delete it and you will have freed up 25GB of disk space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back