Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large Size Document only Prints exactly half 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinyL

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2007
GB
I have created a Word 2000 document (in an attempt to design a banner) where the page size is 55.82cm wide (Word maximum size) and 17.89cm high. It looks fab!

The idea is to supply it to the banner printing people as a PDF. But when I try to print to FreePDF (a PDF creator), I get exactly the right hand half of the document in the .PDF.

If I do a print preview - I get the same: a frame showing the whole document size, but exactly the right hand half is shown, the left hand half is blank.

So I saved it as an web page (from Word). It loads perfectly into both Internet Explorer and Firefox, but if I do a print preview in either application I get exactly the same result: a frame showing the whole document size, but exactly the right hand half is shown, the left hand half is blank.

Any ideas what's going on?

You'd probably have done better to post this is the Microsoft Office forum...

I'll assume that an ordinary "standard" sized document prints out ok. Have you set your printer to print this size of page?

My guess would be that unless you have a printer capable of printing this size of document and the printer page setup reflects the measurements you quoted, then you'll not see it fully in preview.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I would have posted to MS Office Forum, but as the post says I get the same behaviour from Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Does print preview use the actual printer driver (in this case a print-to-file kind of driver called FreePDF)?

Tiny :)

I have just mimiced your setup here (W2K + Word 2000). I only have a basic A4 paper size laser printer installed. It does as I expected. Only the righthand half of the banner shows up in print preview so yes, the printer driver is undoubtedly causing loss of full picture.

I recall years ago printing (rather expensively!) banners using a colour printer which took continuous (fanfold) paper. Maybe you could try installing one of those printer drivers and see what happens...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks for the info.

So next step is a new post to ask if any one knows of a print-to-file type printer driver that creates PDF's _and_ will allow large "paper" sizes.

Thx

Tiny :)

I believe the banner software I used was called Bannermania, by Broderbund. It's quite possible that the application included a driver specifically for printing over several sheets of fanfold paper, to form the "banner".

Sorry I can't be of any more help - good luck in your search.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back