Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large Rendering Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantum

Technical User
Mar 4, 2007
US
I have been working with Premiere for some time now and have been very satisified with its functionality. Now, suddenly my files have become huge! I have 2 gigs of memory, and an 80 gig HD on the computer but using two 300 gig external HDs for the files. I have taken 3 hours of video and made a 30 minute movie with no real strain on my 300 gig drive, but now I try to take a 15 minute video and the rendering is well over 100 gigs.
Also, before I could take the raw file and it showed the green bar indicating rendering did not have to be done, but now importing the AVI brings up the red "needing to be rendered" indicator.
Does anyone have an idea what could have changed to cause these now huge files?

I would suspect that you have a movie that is not in standard format in either CODEC or frame size or both. Where did it come from?

Either that, or you are using a non-standard project setting that is generating uncompressed footage.

Video compressed using the DV CODEC comes in at around 13Gb per hour.

DV uses 5:1 compression, so uncompressed video uses around 65Gb per hour.

HD uses about 4 times as much space as DV when uncompressed, so that would give around 65Gb per 15 minutes.

None of this equates to 100Gb for 15 mins, so quite where your file size comes from is something of a mystery.

If you are unsure of the parameters, the free GSpot utility would allow you to what CODEC is used.

I started with Premiere 6.0 and stepped through 6.5, and Pro 1.5. I currently am using Premiere Pro 2 and have created more than a few video projects with these versions with no trouble.

The footage came from cameras that I have used before. What is really strange is that I am reusing footage that I have used before with these strange results. This footage was still on one of the HDs. In fact I am using the same .prproj file with these results.

The settings have not been changed on the program that I can see or have done.

This is really a strange and frustrating experience.

Any help with this would really be appreciated.

Without any details of your footage or project, nothing useful can be added to what I have already said.

Even then, given your experience wth the software, I am far from sure that I will be able to add anything useful to your existing knowledge. But try me !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back