Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large Outlook signature storage requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

vostok1

MIS
Feb 15, 2005
US
Hi,

Please share your insight on the signature problem below.

A new signature designed by a marketing person is being deployed around the company. The signature is about 100KB. This makes even the smallest email over 100KB.

What are the implications on the email server storage space? Is Exchange 2k3 going to store the signature as 1 file (the same signature) or is every sent email being stored as 100 kb at the minimum?

What other effects can be caused by such a large signature?

Thanks.

A signature is added to a message on a per message basis, if done by each user being sent the file which they add to their signature.
100KB is just pathetic and I might say stupid.

It would be better if you appended this signature on the way out of the system by using exclaimer.com (as an example)

Really, marketing, as usual, need a good slap.

I'd rip the fingers off of someone if they said we had to use 100kb sigs. That increasing the message size of EVERY message by 100kb. Like those "what are you doing for lunch" messages.

What are you going to do for people who receive those messages on mobile devices? Or those who read mail in plain text?

I'm with Mark - that person needs a beatdown.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

I know it is sad and am trying to change it. It will be a political issue, so I'm collecting the good reasons for a quick change.

As far as Windows mobiles and BBs, they do not download the full emails with images by default, so they are somewhat protected...

Thanks

As far as Windows mobiles and BBs, they do not download the full emails with images by default, so they are somewhat protected...

That's not always true.

Best practices for signatures has always been (and it's easy to Google it) plain text, without graphics. And, IIRC, the total maximum recommended size is 4 lines of text.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Hi all,
I just wanted to chime in and say that our company is just starting to experience the problem with users creating their own "fancy" signatures with company logos, environment logos, animal protection logos, etc. Its catching like wildfire and we need to stop it immediately. What can we do right now on our ES (2003) to stop users from sending their signature at least internally. We are looking at Exclaimer but until then....is there a quick answer?
Thanks for your input, as always, and we are glad to know that we are not alone in our frustration!

To be honest they need to stop "looking" at Exclaimer and get it in. There's no need to look at it, just plan what you want it to look like and do it.
Force the email to be plain text going through (mix of GPOs and global settings) would be a quicky but it will anger the punters so you want to think about the customer service touchy-feely before going down that path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back