Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large number field in GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyL

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2000
GB
Hi,

On our SQL-based Goldmine system we have a user-defined field called UFNTURNOVR which is varchar(20) and has been used to store turnover values (pretty much in free text). I've gone through the process of tidying these values into 'numbers' eg replacing '2mil' with '2000000'.

To enable us to sort better on the proper turnover values I need to convert the field type to numeric, but all the numeric data types seem to have a maximum length of 8. I know that we have some contacts where the turnover is 100million or over which is 9 digits.

Any ideas how I can have a numeric field of 10 characters?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
John

You could pretend 0's to this field and they would sort properly.

Unless I'm mistaken a Numeric field can be 16 characters minus the decimal places which could be 0.

DJ Hunt
Phone: (978)2-3333
- The Hacker's Guide to GoldMine Premium
- One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )

The integer type (if you're not concerned with decimal places) holds values to +/-2,147,483,647. Bigint goes to over 9 * 10[sup]18[/sup].

It's been a while since I've worked with GM, but are either of these data types available in the interface?

-------++NO CARRIER++-------

Yeah, I haven't dealt with it in about three years, so the memory fades.

-------++NO CARRIER++-------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back