Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large MTA DB Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notleks

MIS
Jul 29, 2002
US
We have an Exhange server in our organisation running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on an NT4 SP6a server.

We ran out of space on the drive where the databases are (a planned upgrade didn't happen in time). This caused the MTA to stop.

We added in another disk, expanded the array and extended the partition.

After this we ran
ESEUTIL -P /ISPRIV
ESEUTIL -P /ISPUB

Deleted the edb.chk files
Started the DS
Ran ISINTEG -patch (no inconsistencies found)

Exchange was then started and, following a reboot, messages began to be processed. There are no messages sitting in the MTA queue. However, messages in users outboxes from when the system was down have remained in their outboxes. Doing a Send and Receive doesn't clear them. The Outboxes cannot be accessed to delete the messages.

A few users have problems whereby they cannot access certain messages or folders. One user cannot access their sent items folder, another has an inbox which reports 35 unread messages, however there aren't any messages in the folder. They are able to see new messages coming in, but haven't received the ones that were sent whilst the system was down.

In the MTADATA folder there are 5 large db*.dat files, one of which is 1.2Gb in size. In the application Event log the following errors are being reported several times every second:

EVENT: 2110
SOURCE: MSEXCHANGEMTA
Category: Internal Processing
A fatal MTA database server error was encountered. A bad list member length is on object 06000047. File offset: 1330. Attribute ID: 79. Referenced object 00000000 (0 => N/A). Referenced object error: 0. [DB Server DISP:ROUTER 10 42] (16)

There is also the associated EVENT 2171 warning message.

So, we re-ran the ESEUTIL ISINTEG process described above (twice for good measure) and then started all services except the MTA and ran MTACHEK /rd /rp/ /v/ /f mtacheck.log

No errors were returned, all reported as ok.
The MTA db files are still large and growing. The MTA errors are still in the application log and the users still have the same problems with their mailboxes.

My next step is to delete all the db*.dat files from the MTADATA and replace them with the default ones from the Exchange CD. I realise that this will result in some data being lost.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Do you think this will resolve the issue with the users mailboxes or do you suspect (as I do) that we will have to restore these from backup?

All advice gratefully received.

Woah!

Why, after the MTA ran out of disk space, did you run eseutil /p on both your mail databases? What were you trying to achieve? The /p switch is the most destructive of all the offline tools, it will cause data loss from your databases wherever it finds a page in the database that fails its checksum. Instead of regenerating the checksum, it simly deletes the entire 4K page! Who knows what was on the page - part of a larger attachment (that is now corrupt), maybe a few small messages (that are now unopenable), or maybe an index to a few hundred shared objects (which would result in lots of users being unable to open lots of their mailbox contents). It really is a last resort when all other options have been exhausted.

Can I suggest you step back and read the DR whitepaper before running any more tools?
Don't ever run an offline tools unless MS tell you to, or you fully understand eactly why you are running it and what effect it will have on your users' mail.

I hink your only option for the databases is restore of the last good backup - there shouldn't be any data loss for mail already delivered so long as you still have all the transaction log files since the last online backup.

As far as the mta files are concerned, MTACHECK should clean the 'MTA database' of any problems - I'm surprised you've still got files accumulating there if MTACHECK runs without any errors. If you've solved your disk space problems, I would be inclined to try deleting the oldest file in the MTA directory - it might be a bad message stuck in the queue - stop the MTA first.

If that doesn't work, then I think clearing the MTA directory is your only option - at least it's only mail in transit that you're throwing away.

Thanks Zbnet

I did run the ESEUTIL -p under advice. The space issues got so bad before we could stop the services neatly that the IS service stopped. Once we got some space back we were unable to restart the IS service. There appeared to be some corruption and on the first scan through errors were repaired. Sorry, I omitted that in my orignal post.

We haven't deleted any transaction files.

A question, if I delete the oldest file in the MTA will that automatically recreate itself or do I need to copy from CD?

MTACHECK will normally tell you if it needs you to copy files back to replace what's missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back