Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

large JPG image (3000 pixels plus) doesn't display in IE7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdog2020

Instructor
Jun 16, 2003
US
Hi all,
Got a weird one. I have a very large JPG image, over 3000 pixels wide, that IE 7 won't display. Firefox displays the image fun, scaling it way down.

But, IE 7 displays a red X, as if the URL isn't valid, but it is valid.

Anyone ever seen that?

Thanks,
Ben

Hmmm, nothing really springs to mind. It might be that IE has some timeout limit set for loading an image and this limit is exceeded. Does it not even start loading the photo or does it stop at some point and give up?

Interestingly, someone (hope that wasn't you) posted just this issue as a bug on the Microsoft forums recently:

Ah, problem solved. You know what it was? The image was CMYK color, switch it to RGB and IE displays it fine. Nothing to do with width at all.

Further proof that the "may the best browser win" may not have applied to the browser wars of days yore.

I'll check that thread, thanks vragabond.

Further proof that the "may the best browser win" may not have applied to the browser wars of days yore.

As I understand it, JPEG files are meant to use the RGB colourspace (which is then converted into YCbCr during decoding), so why should browsers that expect this display something different?

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

ah, my bad then, I didn't realize that. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back