Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large Image increases size of Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayas

Programmer
Sep 22, 2001
IN
hello friends,
I use crystal reports 8.5 and vb 6.0
I place an image of 600 kb in the report. The report has only one table and only 4 fields are displayed from it.

When the image is not placed the report size is 16 kb. but as soon as i place the image, the report size increases to almost 11 mb.
problem : This creates a problem of loading the report (takes almost 3 to 5 minutes to display).
Please help to reduce the size of the report coz i think thats the only problem the report takes much time to load and also print (on the printer)

Is there any way to scale down this image without sacrificing quality\size? What format is the image in?

I added a 600 KB JPB file to a 117 KB report, new size is 2.5 MB.

Try playing with different images formats.

Check this out.....

I guess it's true, "You learn something new every day"

hello jdemmi
Thanks for the suggestion.

My image is in jpg format. I dont know about jpb format.
My client wants the jpg in 300 dpi only. Reducing the dpi changes the effect of the image.

I tried using the class file using reference of "craxdrt" which directly loads the report (did not use the crystal component). This class was somewhat helpful to me. But not upto a content level.
This thing by no means reduced the size of the report but it did make the report load faster than earlier.

any suggestions would be still welcome.

Thanks

are you saving the image with the report or linking the image to your jpg image.

This may not suit your situation but linking the image will reduce the file size.

What is the size of the jpg image you are working with ?

Gary Parker
Systems Support Analyst
Manchester, England

thank you Mr. Parker for the reply.
My image size is 600 kb.
I put the image at design time and saving the image with the report.
one more point that u mentioned about linking the image may be possible but i dont know how to do it.
can u give me an idea about how to link the image.

i truly welcome your useful suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back