Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

large hard drive upgrade problem on Toshiba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jody

Technical User
Sep 26, 2000
CN
I am wondering if someone can help me on an upgrade problem. I installed a 20 gig hard drive to my Toshiba Satellite 315cds and upgraded the BIOS to ver. 7.3 but my computer only recognizes it as an 8 gig hard drive. Toshiba tech support only tells me to go to a dealer, and the hard drive (seller) tech support has ignored my emails.

Thanks.
Jody

Make sure you have your BIOS set to LBA (Logical Block Addressing). After doing that, if it has an auto-detect feature then run it. Another option would be to try entering the parameters manually which would have to be obtained somewhere in the manual or maybe the Manufacturers website. Justin

Feel free to email me at:
beckham@mailbox.orst.edu

"3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population."

What OS are you running?? If it's WinNT 4.0 ensure you have the latest Service Pack. If you are running Windows 9X confirm that you are formatting using the latest FDISK utility (FAT32) this eables Large Disk Support. Good Luck

As far as I know there´s software that solves the problem of BIOS not recognizing bigger HDs. I´d check Seagate´s, Quantum´s or IBM´s HD-homepages on this problem.

GandhiII is correct. If your BIOS cannot recognize the drive properly, you will need drive overlay software which will trick the system into using the full drive.

Drive manufactures often include it with the drive, or it can be downloaded from their website. There are various versions, but EZ-BIOS or EZ-DRIVE is one of the most common.

Have just had the same problem myself, I couldn't beleive that toshiba are so unhelpful, as rwise2112 suggested most hard drive manufacturers offer a drive manager - but not toshiba!!
However if you download ezdrive9 it is not locked to a particular drive brand and will cure your problem.
If you have any problem finding it Email me your details and I will forward it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back