Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large files in dllcache

Status
Not open for further replies.

ownuridea

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2003
US
The directory winNT/system32/dllcache is collecting large files, named conf.2003-w28 through w37, saved 7/27 through 9/28 and ranging in size to almost 2 gigabytes. All together, WinNT is 6 gigabytes, equal to all other directories on c: combined. I notice my machine at work, also Win2K, doesn't contain dllcache. Isn't this a bit excessive? Do I need all these files? How do I limit their accumulation?

Thanks
Mike

You might consider placing a cache limit on the File Protection System.

sfc /CACHESIZE=x Sets the file cache size (in megabytes).

Thanks. The purgecache took an hour or so. But when finished, disk usage had dropped from >12 gb to <8 gb.

What could have caused this growth in the first place - some error that needs to be corrected? Note that the system is the result of a migration 3.1 -> 98 -> 2000, while the hardware underwent similar migration. But the upgrade to 2000 was about a year ago, whereas those &quot;conf&quot; files just started to appear in dllcache in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back